Monday 15 June 2009

Decaffeinated cocktails

I attend a training workshop aimed at teaching graduate students to teach. In one of the afternoon tea breaks, I notice one of my fellow graduate students put two teabags in a cup and fill it with boiling water. One tea bag is peppermint; the other is camomile. I congratulate her; it never occurred to me to mix teas in this way. "Since submitting my thesis I have been trying to decaffeinate," she explains.

The scene struck me as possibly suitable subject matter for Piled Higher and Deeper (http://www.phdcomics.com/). But then, I always thought that the trouble with making cartoons about PhD students is that most outsiders would never believe they are in any way linked with reality. Would anyone believe, for instance, that one of my post-fieldwork anthropologist friends actually said she had started to feel "messianic" towards the community of people with whom she did her fieldwork?

No comments:

Post a Comment