Wednesday 8 July 2009

shuffle

This post is about being my own boss.

I have good days and bad days, good weeks and bad weeks. Last week was good, very productive, very focused, ordered, structured, etc. But I kept working at that demonic pace until Sunday night and then cracked; lost the rhythm, the beat of the work and, as a result, self-confidence. Since then I've been struggling to get back into that beat or to find a new one. Yesterday I thought I might be finding a new one but this morning it was gone again and I struggled to get out of the house and onto my bike. When I finally did, my MP3 player assisted with the final, Sisyphean hill one has to go up before Keele (the one where people at the top throw rocks down on you as you climb (1)). Shuffle: Jeff Buckley "Everybody Here Wants You", Sublime "KRS-One", Son House "Grinning In Your Face", Gym Class Heroes "7 Weeks". So good I had to blog it. Now I have to try to crack the whip over my own head; but at least I have my teachers (the first three of these tracks) to give me some perspective on what I'm doing, and my fieldwork assistant/soundtrack ("7 Weeks") as a reminder of exactly why we did it to begin with.

References:
1. Dick, Philip K. (1982) Blade Runner: Do androids dream of electric sheep? New York: Ballantine

No comments:

Post a Comment